Saturday, February 6, 2010

One Room in a Castle: Letters from Spain, France & Greece by Karen Connelly

Very rarely in my reading career have I come across a story that transported me into itself; into the world it created so much so that the rain pounding on my window did not come from the clouds above Australia but fell onto the drought stricken lands of Africa or an olive grove in Greece or the tremendous pines of the Pacific Northwest. Karen Connelly spins her tales into a living, breathing story with a language that embraces you and shares with you its heat.
This book found me on accident. I was at a second hand book sale outside of my local supermarket. As I perused the shelves, I found a book slightly askew and when I went to straighten it out, something about the feeling of it, the weight in my hand, struck me. I gave the cover a look and considered the perchase but reading "Spain, France & Greece" really synched the deal.
Karen Connelly is a traveler and a writer; one of the greatest mixes you can come across. She throws herself into the places she visits and insists on meeting the people that hold it all together. She wanders behind the decisions of her heart and lives to share the stories with people that have yet to take the journey themselves.
One Room in a Castle reads in a way that you can hear the people, feel the wind, taste, touch, smell, see the countries and the cultures that Karen is exploring. Written for the traveler or the traveler to be without a plot or an end, it will love you with the passion of the Spanish, the delicacy of the French, the humor of the Greek and the history of the Gypsies.

No comments:

Post a Comment