Saturday, February 13, 2010

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

We're going to do things a little differently today. With this review comes a challenge; to find an English speaking high school student that has not or will not read Lord of the Flies in their schooling career.
Couldn't do it? Neither could I. The mentioning of this book goes hand in hand with a high school reading list. Now, can anyone tell me why?
As I was reading this for the first time I was trying to figure out the answer to that question. Why are so many kids forced into reading this story? Is it to make them aware of the evils in society? Maybe to scare them away from living in a world that's adult-free?
I only ask this because Lord of the Flies is one of the most savage and sickening stories I have ever read and I've read some horrors. There is an evil lurking in this text that I have never experienced before. The unjust cruelty and brutality of this tale is so blatantly obvious and so bluntly portrayed that I could not bring myself to enjoy any of the happenings within it.
It did not help that the parts that didn't contain violence and hatred were altogether boring and I found these chunks to be rather laborious to read.
I cannot comprehend, even know upon finishing it, why this story is considered a classic of English literature and why, generation after generation, school kids are reading, analyzing and disecting such a poor story.
I will admit, purely for some positivity, that the plot was not lacking and there was reason behind the characters' actions that followed what one would expect when such young children were left to fend for themselves but I do not condone the continuation of praise that this book has received since it's first publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment