Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin

Now, this story was forced on me by my mother who learnt about Miles Franklin while we were in America and then found this book on our arrival in Australia at which point she had to buy it.
This is, in a way, an autobiography of the author told with different names for the characters so that it seems more of a story than her actual life. Miles Franklin wrote My Brilliant Career when she was 16 and longed to leave her family's dairy farm and to become a writer. She holds a deep resentment of all male feelings and has sworn herself off of marriage, that is until she meets a certain Harold Beecham.
Being a Romantic, I was so hoping for the story to end happily with a white wedding but the various twists and turns of Franklin's teenage years left me always changing my theory of the ending. That being said, I was rather disappointed when I came to the last few chapters because the plan that I had constructed for her was not even close to what actually took place.
The beginning is tough because the author has a rather arrogant tone of voice and her constant disagreement with the rest of the characters [especially Harold] left me extremely frustrated.
All in all, it was a decent tale if you only count the juicy parts in the middle. I wouldn't read it again and I probably wouldn't recommend it to just anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment